15 October 2007

Blog Action Day


The awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (and Al Gore) provides a nice backdrop for this Blog Action Day. However, any excitement is tempered by my realization that this prize shall change the opinion of no one.

Since this is supposed to be a day of action, I have decided to use this entry to list the actions my roommates and I have taken to better care for the Creation.

  • We installed a clothesline in our backyard to reduce our use of electricity for drying clothes.
  • None of us owns a car.
  • We replaced almost all of our incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
  • We do not have air conditioning.
  • We keep our thermostat at 60o F during the winter; even the dog wears a sweater.
  • We recycle our cans, bottles, plastic bags, and paper products.
This list is not intended to be boastful. It is intended as a defense against accusations of hypocrisy and a list of small steps at the beginning of our journey towards a fruitful stewardship of our home planet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last winter - I object - we kept our thermostat at a brisk 60F. I know because I repeatedly stare at the thermostat during the winter months. 62F is for yuppies.

Luke C. said...

Error corrected.

Darius said...

I doubt anyone would accuse you of hypocrisy. Al Gore on the other hand, he's so full of hypocrisy, I wonder how his digestive system handles it all.

Darius said...

As for the Nobel Peace Prize, it doesn't really thrill me to see someone win the same award that Yasser Arafat won and for which Adolf Hitler was repeatedly nominated.