15 December 2012

You went to the Creation Musem?!?


Yes, several interested friends and I, including my roommate Chris, drove to the Creation Museum in Kentucky from Columbus. Some readers of this blog may not have heard of this Museum; others may see it as a beacon of truth in a sea of lies; others may see it as a beacon of lies misleading and corrupting American minds. All of these groups are probably asking the same question: Why did you go?

We made our visit on Dec. 8, 2008.  As a professional scientists (a physics graduate student at the time), I was rather hesitant to pay an admission fee to an institution that directly attacks as fraudulent many conclusions of my field, which is also partially why I have waited so long to publish this entry.  Two of the friends with whom I went were also graduate students in physics and astrophysics.  The rest were not scientists and had varying levels of agreement with young Earth creationism, so I thought it would be good for them to tour the museum with scientists. Several other fairly well-known scientists have visited the museum, including Daniel Phelps, President of the Kentucky Paleontological Society,  Lawrence Krauss, a group from the Ninth North American Paleontological Convention, and P. Z. Myers.  So, I thought I would join their ranks.

You can get some idea of the negative reactions this museum has received from most scientists via a collection of responses collected by P. Z. Myers.  I don't have much more to add to them.  My photos are in the album below.  The photo at the top of this post really summarizes the message of the museum: science is destroying the church and moral foundation of this nation.  As I physicist and a Christian, I disagree.




No comments: