27 January 2007

Critiques and Praise for President Bush

Congressman David Wu (D-OR) recently made what may be the funniest, geekiest, and most strangely accurate critique of the Bush administration. It was featured on the Jan. 20 broadcast of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on NPR. According to Congressman Wu,...










...this is a real Klingon, and...
...this is a "faux-Klingon."

I must agree with his assertion that "Vulcan" is a poor description of the neo-conservative advisers in the White House, as the following exchange from "The Immunity Syndrome" indicates.

Spock: I've noticed that about your people, doctor; you find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart... yet how little room there seems to be in yours.

McCoy: 'Suffer the death of thy neighbor,' eh Spock? Now, you wouldn't wish that on us, would you?

Spock: It might have rendered your history a bit less bloody.

A harsher critique of the President was sent to me by an Italian friend. I don't agree with everything he says, but I think it is worth considering.

To be fair, I agree with President Bush on many important issues, at least in principle. I indicated this in an earlier entry on the issue of unborn children.

No comments: